Thursday, July 1, 2010

Gluten free ≠ Healthy Diet

One of my best friends recently discovered she has Celiacs disease. This is when someone cannot digest the wheat protein called gluten.  It's in everything, almost.  I could never imagine me on a gluten-free diet.  I love bread WAYYYYY too much.  Fortunately for her, she loves rice.  So she gets by.

Her birthday is coming up.  A flourless cake? It can be done, but usually these are dense, chocolate torte-like desserts...  I thought I would try and make a proper birthday cake for her made with a different type of non-wheat flour (sorghum flour).  It's kind of a surprise, but she'll find out in less than 24 hours.  I followed the recipe by the Gluten Free Goddess. But I made it a proper chocolate cake, no coffee.  And I used real eggs.  In my opinion, the cake is a little odd tasting. But it doesn't taste too much unlike the Betty Crocker Devils Food Cake Mix.  Maybe it'll taste better with chocolate butter cream frosting.  Will find out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment