Saturday, June 5, 2010

Sunny Day!

Wow! Finally a sunny day after two weeks of rain!

So I decided to go for a jog!  I'm following Robert Ullrey's podcast for the Couch to 5K program.  I had started it a while ago but I kept lapsing... I may still lapse actually.  But I found that week one was not very challenging for me, which is what I was doing when I initially started it.  So today I started again, but with week 3.  And that one is definitely more challenging.  It has you jog for 90 seconds, then walk 90 seconds, then jog 3 minutes, then walk 3 minutes. And you repeat that.  At my fitness level, this was a good challenge.  I think I will try to continue this for the rest of the week (you're supposed to do each jog 3x per week, then move on to the next week).  Hopefully I make it to week 4.  Week 9 (the last one) has you run 30 minutes straight.  I've done that before on an elliptical in the gym.. but this will be good to condition myself to be able to run 30 minutes straight consistently.  

In 6 weeks time I actually am planning to participate in a 5K run in Chicago!  I find that these runs challenge me to see the limits to which I can take my body.  I ran in a 10K run (the second largest 10K run in the world!) 1 month ago with no training.  Of course, I walked a lot of it.  I finished in 1.5 hours but I was so proud of myself just for finishing and mostly pushing myself to the max (I was so astonished I was actually doing this run that I decided to take photos with my iPhone and post it on FB as I was running, as well as update my status :-p ) because no one in my family would ever dream of doing a 10K!  I never thought I would ever participate in a 10K run.  I hated running!  And yet, I did it. It was a huge accomplishment for me. Now I'm interested in seeing what else I can do, esp. if I have trained even a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment