Saturday, June 5, 2010

Why am I writing this blog?

Good question. It's on the side bar there, but in case you missed it:



I love food. I love everything about food--the science, the art, the social aspect, the ethics. Someone like me loves to eat, but good food. None of this McDonalds crap (unless, let's face it, it's 3 am and you're drunk and you need something to soak up that booze before you hit the sack!). I avoid fast food as much as I can. I really take pride in cooking a meal. I enjoy going out to eat. However, even though I eat "well" I recognize that I am probably still not eating well. By that I mean, often the meals I make can contain a lot of fattening ingredients, or may lack veggies, for example.  And, I enjoy drinking socially (no, I'm not an alcoholic- I promise-- but I can definitely hold my own).

This presents a problem because I am a mid-20s woman, relatively healthy at the moment but probably in the overweight category for BMI. I'm 5' 4" and wear a size 12 or large in clothing. I am content with my body type. I could stand to lose some fat, but if I didn't, it wouldn't be the end of my world. I love that I have an hourglass figure, even though it's far from thin. I didn't always feel this way about my body though.  It's just in the past couple months that I've decided, "I am beautiful. This is who I am. There's only one me. And I better rock it!"

My family has a history of high cholesterol and heart issues, as well as obesity and I really don't want to fall into that lifestyle. Especially at a young age.  

My lifestyle: I am pretty much the average woman (in my opinion). I am strong and independent. I am very busy in my occupation and I also end up volunteering or becoming involved with too many social/networking circles.

This is my attempt to become conscious of my food decisions. If it's on "paper" then I will have a record of how often I am aware of the health factor in the food I make, as well as on other decisions I make for or against living a healthier lifestyle (such as going for a jog or going out to the pub for a few pints with the guys). Also, I hope that if someone else is reading this, they may follow along and realize they're not alone in the everyday struggles with eating well and living a healthy lifestyle. And as always, I would love any kind of feedback, esp. if it can improve my life.

2 comments:

  1. After reading this post i felt i should suggest you to take up running, it really does bring results when it comes to obesity,

    about the strain in running you need to decide what you are capable of holding.
    half an hour would optimal, those who can't .....
    I think this would be a good topic to have a post on. Visit www.longdistancerun.blogspot.com

    if you can't take up running its ok, as you said that is not the end of the world,but it surely is a effective aternate. Have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zanil,
    I am running. :) I'm following the Couch to 5K program using Robert Ullrey's podcast.

    ReplyDelete